A different perspective on Food Preservation, Being Prepared and the World We Live In
|Home / Blog||About - Start Here
||Canning||Dehydrating||Recipes from the Pantry|
|Preserving isn't only for preppers and homesteaders -- If you have a Medical Issue, Food Preservation May be For you!|
Button MushroomsActually any safe mushrooms - - -
1) Put a large pot of water on to boil - you will be slightly parboiling the mushrooms before filling the jars.
2) Place another large pot of water on to boil with fresh water - this water will be used to fill the jars after filling them with the parboiled mushrooms.
3)Wash the mushrooms thoroughly. Cut mushrooms into chunks - I cut smallish mushrooms into 4 and medium to large into 6 (or 8 if the mushroom is really large)
4) When the mushrooms are cleaned and cut into chunks, drop them (all together) into the large pot of boiling water. Bring back to boil and cook 3-4 minutes. You are driving off the oxygen inside the mushrooms so they will not float and will not turn as dark during canning.
5) Turn the burner off under the pot and using a slotted spoon, lift the mushrooms out and fill the jars to about 1 1/2" from the top.
Using the boiling water from the second pot (clean water) fill the jars with water. Stir gently with a wood or plastic stir-stick to eliminate any air bubbles. Fill to base of nect (1" headspace).
I do not add salt to my mushrooms - if you want to add salt try 1/4tsp per pint and 1/2tsp per quart.
6) Add seals (lids) and rings - only screwing the rings on finger-tight
7) Place in Pressure-Canner and process according to manufacturer instructions:
(You know - the usual - vent for 10 minutes - add the weight and bring up to pressure)
Process at 10# in a weighted gauge canner and 11# in a dial gauge canner
(at sea level).
*** IMPORTANT ***
Make Sure to Adjust for Your Altitude (Altitude Adjustment Chart)
Pints: 45 minutes
Quarts: not recommended
If you are new to canning - or just want to see how I do it - check out my Personal Canning Routine
| Copyright 2020 by The
Brensan Group, LLC - All Rights Reserved
Send me an email at: AnnS@brensan(dot)com